View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Do you get tested for heartworm because that includes tick disease (lyme, anaplasmosis and ehrlichiosis although if it was done in the Spring, you can still get a tick disease at any point after that.

I'm not sure if you came across my other post with Timber (don't read it unless you have an hour to kill http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73066) but before she was diagnosed with nasal cancer, she had anaplasmosis. At the time, there were not many cases in Manitoba so she went misdiagnosed and we almost lost her. That was mainly due to the fact they diagnosed it as an immune disorder and put her on heavy duty steroids and immune suppressants. She could not fight the tick disease and it was a grim situation.

At that point she had a very slight nose bleed but I am really not sure if it was due to the disease, undiagnosed nasal cancer or perhaps the metacam she was given but I guess we'll never know.

As far as I know, Manitoba has not seen ehrlichiosis here although they are obviously testing for it but lyme occurs in 12% of deer ticks tested and anaplasmosis <5%. The symptoms we experienced are nose bleed (?), low blood platelets, loss of appetite, lameness, fatigue.

That being said, I think getting the scope done is a good idea. If there really isn't anything to be seen you may want to ask about tick testing.

That's weird about the green fur. So you think it's being stained by the urine?