View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGrl View Post
Thank you. You've pretty much summed up everything I've been thinking. I understand dogs can live together and not have issues, but the bottom line is, no, I couldn't break them apart should an altercation occur. In fact, I'd probably be scared out of my wits, grab DD and run out of the house, leaving the two of them to battle it out. I'm not getting myself killed and leaving DD motherless for any animal.

The Rottie is an awesome dog, and it breaks my heart that we can't take her in, especially because of her being DH's uncle's dog so there's an additional sentimental aspect, but I just think that, given the fact that we already have a powerful dog, we have a young child and DH is not home a lot, this isn't the best time. Even if DH were home at 5pm, like me, I'd probably consider it more because I'd have a second set of eyes and hands and he could deal with something, should anything happen. But my priority is our daughter and its hard enough getting things done now while trying to keep an eye on her, I can't imagine how I would be if I had to keep an eye on her AND two dogs.
BabyGrl, I also meant to mention that you should check for breed-specific rescues in your area for the Rottie. I know around here, we have rescues that specialize in certain breeds (i.e. Rotties, Greyhounds, Pits, etc) and may better understand the specific needs of the specific breed, than a regular humane society or SPCA will. They should be able to place this gal in an appropriate home and may be better able to screen a home then you may have the time for

I can't imagine watching a 19 month old and two large dogs all the time , and especially with a new dog joining the pack, it would be critical to be able to supervise 24/7.

I think you are making the right choice I know it's hard, and can really tug on your heart strings, but I think it's in the best interests for you, your hubby, your daughter, and both dogs involved.

Please keep us posted and let us know if we can help in anyway!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama