View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Sorry if this seems jumbled....but I guess in addition to assistance i'm looking for the WHY in all this. Why is he fine with a few male dogs? Why can he be calm and friendly on leash surrounded by hundreds of dogs at a fundraising walk? But then try to beat up on a dog over twice his size? Or turn into a snarling beast when a male tries to hump Kailey? (who takes care of herself just fine I might add)
Kailey is "his" girl. Even neutered males will form a pair-like bond with a female they live with. Every cell in Chase's body is a male dog cell, neutering reduces the amount of testosterone he has, but does not eliminate it. It is not every dog that will be quite so protective over his girl, but yours is certainly not the only one.

Some of his behaviour is related to his need for excitement. Working border collies work hard and they are intense. In fact, many farm-working bcs are kenneled at all times when not working stock, rather than any effort being put into breeding into them the ability to just relax. Even though Chase is a mix, he has some and possibly all of that intensity and need for excitement and energy release. Offering him more exercise or more vigorous exercise may help, but it will not eliminate his desires completely.

Some dogs develop a dislike for certain breeds - black dogs, poodles, tiny dogs, and Chase may have certain neutral criteria - one being large size - that he associates with a dog he wants to challenge. In addition, he will watch for the other dog's behaviour. He may use body language to say "Hey, wanna fight me?" and then watch for the answer. Most dogs would fight if the other dog says yes, though some are bullies and prefer to take on a dog who won't do much to defend themselves.

In a crowd of dogs there are so many signals from so many dogs that if he gave out the dominant ready-to-fight signals, 4 dogs might accept his challenge at once and he knows better. Taking on just one, even a big one, he considers a safer bet. Maybe two at a time, but with the bassets he is also very well aware that the fence will protect him.

I hope I did not frighten you with my suggestion to put him in a situation where he will lose. I am rather surprised that no-one commenting here has met a large dog who can do the job safely, as I was quite clear you would have to be confident in the other dog's behaviour. In the end your own inhibitions are probably more on the lines of a protective mother, and that I understand completely. However, please understand that every time you step in to break up a fight, it is very likely that Chase sees this as back-up and support in helping him win, no matter what you say to him while you are doing it. In his mind, he has won every single fight. Be very vigilant to prevent these confrontations before they start, rather than depending on stepping in half-way.

You will see improvement when you have established
Come when I call you no matter what you are in the middle of
Sit is the appropriate greeting for a dog you don't like
Don't touch unless I say it's okay
Watch me rather than eying those other dogs

His challenges are new because he has reached social maturity, a natural point of development that all dogs go through. He will never be the same dog he was a year ago, but he can and will improve from what you are seeing today.