View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am so sorry to hear of what you and your dog are going through right now. It is so incredibly hard to see our furry family members so ill.

Actually, one of the tests that we did with our Golden was the foot test, and he will stand there oblivious to the fact that his foot is not flat on the floor, and then will eventually put his foot flat on the ground.

Today he is much better, and hasn't fallen; in fact, he managed the stairs without stumbling at all, so it would appear he was still in the post-seizure phase yesterday. We will get his bloodwork results on Monday, and the vet can then determine if his medication will need to be adjusted to ward off those wretched breakthrough seizures.

I wish you and your doggie the best, and I thank you again for your encouragement.

I'm glad to hear he is doing better
Do you have him on pheno? If so, that can cause a lot of other medical issues as well. I don't know if you have a holistic vet where you live, but we have a wonderful man here who has saved our babies life. He was on phenobarbital, Azathioprine and Prednisone for months, it almost killed him. His growth was stunted between 5-6 months old, he had severe joint deformities (was basically walking on his "wrists") and was constantly spitting up and having tummy troubles. He ended up with internal bleeding and had to have a blood transfusion and we were told not to expect him to make it much longer. That was almost a year ago. The holistic vet was our last hope. He said his goal was to introduce us to our puppy (he was on heavy medications since 3.5 months old) He took him off all the medications, put him on Chinese herbs and a few different homeopathic remedies, and gave us our boy back. He has been such a puppy ever since
He still has issues, and always will, but the holistic vet thinks it will all be manageable, and the only thing he's on to control seizures is the herbal combinations.

Both of our boys have issues. The one with the possible seizure/stroke and cancer, colitis and prone to pancreatitis, then our baby who is just 1.5 yrs old now. He is the one with the grand mal seizures. He also has an immune-mediated disease, hypothyroidism, pica and numerous other issues. It's been so many years since I have had a "normal" dog that I don't even remember what it's like
And yes, it is incredibly hard to watch them go through everything they do. But I think we love them all the more because of it
I wouldn't give either of them up for the world!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012