View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi PhilTG84,

Thank you for adopting this poor girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTG84 View Post
The day we adopted her (Monday, 19 September), she had teeth removed surgically and is on 14 days Clindamycin.
It is quite likely that the antibiotics are playing a role in the diarrhea. Unfortunately, clindamycin can cause colitis in cats, so I would contact a vet ASAP about using either a different antibiotic, or stopping them entirely. When my cat had 3 teeth removed he was put on Antirobe (aka clindamycin) drops. I discontinued them after 2 days (with approval from my vet) because his diarrhea was so severe.

Would also be a good idea to start giving her some probiotics. Look for capsules in the refrigerator section of a health food store. Something high potency (in the billions) with several different strains of organisms and containing little to no dairy. I like either Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi, or MegaFood's Mega Flora. You need just a wee pinch, like 1/6th of a capsule twice a day, mixed into wet food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTG84 View Post
The SPCA sold us Royal Canine, Feline Adult #27 for food, which she eats, but doesn't seem to enjoy.
And speaking of food, I highly recommend that you stop feeding this one and switch to something better. Cats should eat wet food, no kibble, which is filled with inappropriate levels of carbohydrates and highly processed, inferior quality meat. I'd suggest switching to something like Wellness grain-free canned, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics, etc. There's a great article here explaining why cats need wet food: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler