View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM

I have had problems at different times with both my cats not using the litter box.

Meuie is a 10 year old Siamese. When I first adopted him 7 years ago we went through a phase when he wouldn't use the litter box. He would urinate in the spare bedroom. I cleaned up the urine with Nature's Miracle. I poured a whole gallon of it on the carpet where he was urinating. I wanted to be sure that I really soaked the carpeting & pad. Nature's Miracle is an enzyme based cleaner that actually decomposes the urine (Available at pet stores. Get the one for Cat Urine). At first the room smelled even worse! However, as the months went by the smell began to diminish until finally the urine smell disappeared. He also used to urinate in the dinning room. I doused that spot with Nature's Miracle also. Then I bought some of those clear adhesive strips (at the pet store, I think they are to keep cats from scratching) & laid them across the place he was urinating. That pretty much stopped the problem with him.

MiMI is my other cat. She is very fussy about her litter. It has to be clean and she likes a lot of it in her box. If the litter is at a lower level than she likes she will make her BM somewhere else (urinating outside the box has never been her problem, thank goodness!)

Right now I am using two litter boxes. I keep one in the laundry room for Meuie and one in the bathroom for MiMi. I also switched to Cat Attract cat litter. It contains stuff that smells good to cats to help attract them to use the box. I clean their litter every day. I wash the box out with Lysol once a month.