View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Just a few thoughts at this point.

I would try beef and no poultry. Have had lots of poultry issues on some of the forums lately.
We've switched her to things like beef and moose and she seems to be doing really well with it (and likes it, too).

Quote:
Many of these infections emit things that cause an allergic response, so there are many fires to put out at the same time.
That's for sure! There were definitely a multitude of things happening all at once with her.

Quote:
For any infection like this, I would want doxycycline added as one of the antibiotics
Is this a drug that's more powerful than she's already receiving, or is it more specific to treating other likely causes of her symptoms?

Quote:
If this were all immune based, the pred would be increasing the RBCs.
Her RBCs started out high on April 16 at 9.26 (reference interval 5.65 - 8.87), but today they're at 5.82.

Quote:
This sounds like infection of the lining of the blood vessels and the bone marrow. This may or may not be related to tick disease, but it's behaving like one.
I mentioned tick-borne disease to the vet again today, but she feels this is highly unlikely. It's not something we see around here.

Quote:
I'm pretty convinced that the vaccines triggered something that the body was able to previously keep in check.
Hubby and I think there's a connection, too.

Quote:
Just for future reference, benadryl can lower platelets if that ever becomes a problem.
Her platelets have remained normal to slightly below normal. But it's good to know how Benedryl can affect her count.

Quote:
The vasculitis, to me, is a huge indication that aggressive doxy is warranted. Infection of monocytes, and neutrophils, particularly monocytes, screams one of the rickettsia infections, like ehrlichia or anaplasma.
It sounds like you know an awful lot about this and I'm grateful that you're willing to share that knowledge with me. If the vet is convinced that this is not one of the rickettsia infections, can you think of other possibilities?

Quote:
If this dog is not on doxy, it is understandable that the monocytes are not coming down.
So, in your opinion, the Baytril and Metronidazole wouldn't do much good?

Quote:
I've seen a lot of vets treat the test results and not the patient. This is an area, where, if the vet doesn't feel the importance of treating with *aggressive dose* doxy, then I would use OTC doxy if this were my dog.
I thought doxycycline was available by prescription only.

Quote:
This is what I had to do with my boy, which bought him about 8 more months until the infection of the blood vessels turned to cancer of the blood vessels.
I'm so sorry! Your boy did not survive?

Quote:
Thank you for fighting so hard for Skye!
To infinity and beyond! She's our little girl and we'd do anything for her. I appreciate all your help. So much.