View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM

Unhappy how to go about rehoming a 5 year old dog.

Yes it's happening again and there is no way out. Now before people start freaking out and sending posts about how aweful I am for rehoming our dog hear me out. We've had Zena for 5 years now and up until last may it's been great. Now however our son who is now 3 is a bit hyperactive and rough with her, she is very tolerant. He almost burnt her with hot water last week and he was only out of our sight for a minute literally. I caught him just in time. Also I have asthma and allergies that make keeping her very hard, I'm waiting to have an eye removed that causes me extreme pain and waters whenever I get anywhere near her. On top of all that keeping her is not doing her justice as we are very busy people and don't have the time to spend with her, also the cost of living keeps going up and now I cant's even afford to take her for needles let alone go to the vet if something happens. In a nutshell our lives have changed and we are at a loss as to how we could even remotely keep her.

First question is how do we break this to our son who just loves her and plays with her all the time? We will not lie to him we don't believe in that.

and how do we advertise her without getting some crazed maniac thinking he can use her for some junk yard dog? She is a family pet through and through and it would kill her if she went to anything but a good loving family or some person who is lonley and needs a companion. The fact that she is half PitBull has me concerned about who might respond. I won't lie about her breed so don't even suggest it. Her age has me concerned as well even though she is healthy.

The biggest problem is the allergies as I can't even be in the same room with her anymore. This rehoming is harder because other then our family situation there is no reason to do this but, Pippin was just a pain in our lives Zena is amazing and I am very frustrated with having to do this but, such is life I guess. Oh yeah we are likely moving into a place that won't allow pets, to cut costs so that's a factor as well and yes we have to move if we want to eat. In our province you don't get enough to survive on from income assistance as it is let alone having a pet on top of it. so any sound ideas would be appreciated. thanks.