View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
-

I'm in agreement. This is not the food for a dog with digestion issues.

The first five ingredients are indicators of quality. If you're feeding meat or fish look for a specific meal. Disgusting as it sounds, in digestible protein terms "salmon meal "is better than "salmon". With all the water dehydrated, when it is reduced to meal, you get more protein and good ol' vitamins "bang for your buck" out of salmon meal than salmon.

I always aim for 3 or more of the first five ingredients to be protein based, preferably meal. All those blueberries and stuff you read about in kibble are nice but really make no difference in their health. Any goodness in them is cooked out by processing and likely can't be absorbed anyway (with that said Bridie loves all fruit and I feed it to her shamelessly).

Your dog is a carnivore by preference and an omnivore by circumstance. If you are looking at kibble as a diet think about higher end kibble with some meat and/or offal supplements. My gang have been with Orijen for a few years now and we're pretty happy with it. They also get raw green tripe as well as raw beef bones, raw beef, raw turkey necks.

I have learned so much about feeding my dogs from pets.ca. The best thing I can suggest is to do a search of the food forum so that you can make up your own mind.