View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Question Lola post rabbies shot...please help me understand!

Hello...I registered onto this website in hopes that someone can help me understand my 2 1/2 yr old jack russell/chihuahua's reaction to her rabbies shot. This is her story...

I took her to the groomers on Saturday morning while I went to work for just a couple of hrs. The groomers informed me that her rabbies shot was expired and that she was due for them. There is a vet attached to the groomers and they just happened to have a special on vaccinations on Saturday mornings.

They weren't ready for her when I went in, but they said that I could leave her with the groomers and they could bring her in when they were ready for her. I paid and signed the necessary paperwork and informed them that I would be back in 2 hrs.

2 hrs later I picked her up and she was groomed and ready to go. She was all of Saturday. By Sunday afternoon she couldn't stand. She doesn't have diahrea, still has an appetite, and hasn't thrown up.

Her ears are pulled back from the pain. She is able to pee and poo but you can tell she is in pain when she puts her hind legs on the ground. Even when she is laying, she is shaking.

I called the vet on Monday and the front desk said that it could be the rabbies shot and to give it 24-48 hrs. It is now Tuesday evening and she is having a harder time standing.

When I read the reviews on this particular vet, there was very low rating. One pet owner said that her chihuahua was misdiagnosed twice and that she developed seroma from her last rabbies injection there. Could this be symptoms? If they are responsible for this, could I have them cover the cost of fixing whatever they may have caused? How long should I wait? Please help me, I don't want to be an irresponsible pet owner - I love my Lola and want the best for her!