View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Growth on My Cats Front Right Shoulder Area

My cat Flo is 13 years old and a big girl (~18 lbs). In recent weeks, we have noticed her limping and favoring her front leg. Yesterday, I noticed a very large growth around her front right shoulder area. The growth is relatively hard and consistent throughout; it does not appear to cause Flo pain when I tough it.

Money is tight and I took Flo to my moms vet who is old school and "no frills". Upon inspecting the tumor, the Dr. seemed surprised at the size of the growth. He also said that the tumor was "attached" to the muscle and tissue underneath. He said that these two issues would not allow the tumor to be removed at this time.

He gave Flo a shot of steroids and antibiotics and gave me a liquid chemotherapy treatment to give her 3 times daily for the next 10 days. His hope was that the tumor would shrink and detach from the underlying tissue, allowing him to surgically remove the tumor in the near future.

The Dr. was leaving on vacation this morning and saw Flo on a rush last minute call. After leaving the office, I had a couple of questions, mainly what kind of growth is this? and Does this treatment seem like the best low cost option? Any advice or confirmation would give me great peace of mind. I will try to take a couple of pictures and post, if that would be helpful?