View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi chloe_close (and Monkey too),

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe_close View Post
Since I've had him he has been a insane eater, cries like crazy when he's hungry and STINKS. Very gassy and lots of runny poo.
Does sound like something is going on with his digestive tract. Do you have an idea of just how much he's eating per day? What was he eating before you got him?

Quote:
When I took him to the vet, the vet said to stop feeding him the wet food (yeah I know but maybe that was for the best as it has carbs in it).
Ugh. Especially considering the diarrhea, Monkey needs the moisture in the canned food. The vet has it backwards. Although yes, a better canned food would be a good idea. Also, Orijen is far from carb-free. The potatoes add quite a bit of starch, which is necessary to form the kibble nuggets.

Quote:
He was dewormed and given first shots.
Really wish the vet hadn't vaccinated him, as vaccines should only be administered to HEALTHY cats. I would skip the boosters until his intestinal issues are under control.

Quote:
I told him that sometimes he eats so fast and poos so quickly afterwards that I've seen whole kibbles in his poo.
Definitely not normal. There could be some malabsorption issues and consequently he's not getting enough nutrients from the food, thus the insatiable appetite and poorly digested kibble. Digestive enzymes could help, but I also think Monkey needs to be on a better, simpler canned food. Orijen has way too many protein sources and there's no way to figure out if one of those is causing Monkey's problem.

Quote:
some cats are just like that.'
Oh jeez. Those cats that "are just like that" are not healthy or normal, and are almost always on the wrong diet. His lack of insight into this issue is a bit concerning.

Quote:
Switching to dry only seemed to help, but now I attribute it to feeding him less, I was overfeeding him, d'oh!
Help how?

Quote:
If so can anyone recommend a place to buy these in Edmonton?
Are you near a Tailblazers store? They could also help you pick out a better wet food, or maybe even a frozen raw diet.

Quote:
Should I just switch to a higher end canned food such as Wellness? I'm kinda scared to do that for fear of the switch making it worse.
Wellness would be a good choice. They recently came out with a new line of minced and cubed canned foods that have simple ingredients, are grain/gluten/by-product free, and are a big hit in my house.

Quote:
His name is Monkey by the way... and he's adorable, of course.
I think we need some proof of this adorableness you speak of.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler