View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Catlover2

I'm not surpised at Kiko's antics at night as that is par for the course for kitties. That's what I meant in a previous post that you should decide beforehand whether you want her sleeping with you or not. Kitties especially can really interrupt a good night's sleep as they sleep for short periods and then want to play. If you value a good night's sleep, just get her in the habit that she goes to her own room every night. Feed her a snack/small meal before her bedtime or a treat, and she'll look forward to going to her own room. If she meows during the night trying to get your attention, just ignore her, she'll learn that meowing isn't going to get you to open the window.

If you haven't clipped her claws yet, when you hold her, get her used to having her paws handled by gently squeezing the kuckles to make the claws come out. Do this often when you handle her. A time she's nice and relaxed hold her in your lap, and just snip off the end of her claws with nail clippers. Be careful not to cut too short; you certainly don't want to cut the vein in the nail---that will hurt her, and then she won't like having her nails cliipped. Give her a treat when you've finished clipping her claws, and she'll come to look forward to having it done, and it won't be a big deal with her, as it is trying to clip some cat's claws. I have a friend who can't clip her cat's claws because he makes such a big fuss about it and bites her and and she has to take him to the vet to have it done.

I think you're doing pretty well, you and sweet Kiko.