View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Is my dog getting enough exercise?

I have a 5 year old (6 in August) female dog.
She is German Shepherd/Sheltie/Husky mix.
She is healthy, up to date with her shots and fixed.

She has fears (vehicles going by, people walking around, noises, rain, etc) that get us both stressed out when she goes for walks so I only take her out occasionally when I am going to the pet store, or when she needs to go to the vet/groomers, etc.
Most days she goes out in the backyard whenever she wants and I play with her in the house when she wants as long as she wants to continue.

When she wants to go outside she will jump up on the back door, when she wants to play she will bring a toy to me.
In the backyard she will run around and play on her own, sometimes with a toy/sometimes just running, then she jumps up when she wants to come back in and she will either come to be pet or lie down.
In the house she will bring her rope for tug-o-war and pull for a while (win a couple times/lose a couple times) then she will just stop pulling or drop the rope and go lie down when she has had enough.
If she wants to play fetch she will bring one of her stuffed animals or balls and put it at my feet or on my lap, I will throw it a couple of times until she stops bringing it back and she will either leave it where it landed or take it and chew it while lying down.

The rest of the day she is just lying/sleeping in one of her favorite spots.
She is not overweight or underweight, she is very friendly and pretty obedient.
She doesn't destroy anything or get into things she's not suppose to and she is totally housebroken (no accidents in years).
She does get really excited sometimes like when someone she doesn't see often comes over or another dog is around but after saying hello to the person/getting pet or playing with the dog for a while she calms down and goes back to her resting.

Why I am wondering what other people think is because I have had other people tell me that my dog is not getting enough exercise or can't possibly be a happy dog because dogs need to get regular walks and she doesn't.

You can see pictures of her on my facebook page: <edited out personal email>

Last edited by Carnac; May 6th, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Removed personal email