View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Mystery Illness, Husky

Hello Everyone - I have an 8 yr old neutered male husky who is quite ill and my vet cannot determine the cause. I am hoping someone out there has seen these symptoms and might give us a clue.

I started treating zinc responsive dermatosis with oral zinc citrate & then switched to zinc methionine. The dose started at 10 mg per day but dropped to under 5 after he immediately started looking lethargic and drinking excessively. After a couple of weeks he started to look very ill so I took him off the zinc & went back to the vet. His blood was normal except he was excreting all his protien through his urine and had a temp 3 degrees above normal. All his liver enzymes were also way up. There is some discharge from the nose but no vomiting , no diarreah.

He looked the worst about 3 days after I stopped the zinc, has improved some since but not getting any better from there. The vet said the tubules in the kidney were still functioning it was the other part affected.

He tested negative for the 3 tickborn diseases they do in my area and we do not have any definitive proof of Lupus. He had a bout of the dermatosis a year ago & it was never accompanied by anything like this. We did not however use zinc that time.

Has anyone ever seen symptoms like this? Has anyone ever seen a dog react badly to oral zinc? There is no way for us to know if the zinc had anything to do with his kidney problems.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I can provide the lab work if someone has the expertise to understand it.

Thanks - Kelly C