Thread: Domination
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
cassintheuk

Mybirdisevil,

Just as parenting goes, when you know your kid, you know. I'm not very good at explaining the situation on a forum but I educated myself about it from several different sources and had figured this is what was going on even before I read up on it. I'm not one of those people that take anyone's word for gospel, and just as everyone else, you take advice from different people/sources and make it your own. Which is why lots of advice is great. People can point out that humping isn't always a dominant form of behavior, and I DO get that, most of the time it might not be! I just don't understand how you know for sure that one expert is wrong while another is right. It's all a choice of who to believe, isn't it?

We have lots of dog friends who we are around often and we dog sit for all the time for a day or two, they are not strangers and she did not do it with them. Just wanted to address that. Hard to remember to put in every detail but lesson learned.

I know that a lot of people tend to believe that all dogs should love other dogs and people and sometimes that's just not the case. Don't get me wrong, Anna is an amazing dog but I fully believe that she was and even still is trying to establish a pecking order but she's slowly backing off after I decided not to just let her do it when she got worse with more aggressive acts. It was just her first tick that made me think "Theres just something not right with that". So I let her do it instead of going with my instincts and sure enough, Lily wasn't allowed near the dog bowls when she was eating even though they had separate bowls among other things like even getting near the couch. Lots of growling and several nips and yips (yipping on lilys part). She's calmed down a lot since stopping all behavior and lily is free to drink out of the same water bowl now at the same time.

It's hard to come back and give updates when so many people think they know every breed and characteristic inside and out over a forum and will tell you how you're wrong. That you are looking at all the wrong information and that only their information is the correct one. I don't know anywhere near what other people know about other breeds and how other dogs behave. I just know my babies. Aren't all pet parents like that? If they act strange for who they are, don't you question it and wonder what's up and not act as though it's no big deal? I even know when she doesn't feel good. She's got this way of cuddling that differs just slightly from the norm before she stops eating when her stomach is upset. I just know her and I know that her action wasn't playful, it was the not so nice side.

At the end of the day, we are dealing with it incalm termas. Everyone is adjusting and all of us are quite happy which is all anyone can ask for.

Last edited by cassingermany; May 9th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.