View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I enjoy counted cross stitch sometimes. I've made a couple memory quilts for co-workers who have retired. I quit doing that though because the majority of the other co-workers don't sew or embroider and I'd end up doing most of the squares for them. My main hobby is stained glass. I've been doing that for 26-27 years. Best part about doing glass is that all the excitement comes at the end of the project when you can actually hold the piece up to see the colors and light all working together. I also enjoy ceramics but don't have the skill to make what I like. I volunteer in the ceramics lab at the college mixing up all the colored slips and glazes. Also have baked and decorated many a wedding cake. My last one was for my older brother last September. It was a disaster that turned out great! I had made both a formal wedding cake and a informal groom's cake. On the 6hr drive up to Yreka, the base of the wedding cake slid and was severely damaged. What a horrible trip emotionally! My brother operates a Cat Bulldozer for a living, cutting in roads, cable, etc. in the mountains. For the groom's cake, I had made a chocolate mountain with a small bulldozer for the top with a caricature of the bride and groom. I just placed the bulldozer at the base of the damage and everyone thought it was on purpose and loved it! The groom was driving the Cat and the bride was over the hood because it was the 1st day of deer season! I'll add a photo when I get home this evening.