View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

The only thing I can think of is the fear of the big dogs and little ones. But I myself bought our Eskimo simply because I was immediately told "NO" BY 3 rescues. Their first and only question was "Do you have a fenced yard?". The answer is No, but we do have a yard. And our dogs have never, ever been off leash or off stake with chain and one of us monitoring them at all times. The first one hung up on me. The second one I managed to ask if they would like to hear from my vet of 25 years and from the neurosurgeons at Guelph as to the type of animal Mommy I am. The answer again was No. After the third attempt I gave up and bought the dog. My vet was furious that anyone would turn down us - she would have called the rescues in question after the fact but I did not want to have her waste her breath and get her further agitated. Funny thing is is that we once did have a fenced yard - my husband went out for one minute and our Beagle followed him - next thing you know the Beagle is sitting on the other side of the fence waiting to go for his walk. He dug under it. Our former neighbours had a fence between our properties. The lady like to bake butter cookies - actually she made them for our Dachshunds. My husband was out with the guys, tied to their tethers, and looked up and there was my main guy sitting on the other side of the fence eating butter cookes. Then of course there is the Eskimo who at 21 lbs. could take a leap to the top of a 6 ft. fence and then tumble over and break his neck. My husband's associate was turned down by a Bull Dog rescue because she works - she lives in a house we all could only dream of - her Bull Dog tied and since there were so many homeless dogs available wanted to go that route. She ended up buying a dog. She is also a true dog lover. All of my Dachshunds, except one, came through my vet, through a couple who Rescues privately, much as you do. She boards the "extra" dogs that one can't really hide at home - you can only grandfather so many when you have mean neighbours - and helps find homes. In our case if we want a dog, it is ours. But due to the pain and suffering of Dachshund disc disease we now have the Eskimo. I just read the thread on the little pup with dysplasia. Eskimos are prone to this - I think the fates are against me. Should we ever take in another dog, it will come from this vet. Sorry this has happened to you. Last week on the way through the vet's office to the grooming studio, my Eskie and 3 Big Dogs were all startled by a sharp commanding bark that seem to come from nowhere. They were all united in trying to find the source. It was a tiny - teacup I guess, chi - that was sitting behind a regular size paper back book. I think this dog - full grown - was a little smaller than you would want - especially if you had a 22 lb. cat as I do. But kind of a shock to all of us - the looks on the dogs' faces were hysterical - but they all shut up fast enough. Hope you find a little dog one of these days. I know from a previous post that Lucky Rescue managed to get past the fence problem but probably running a rescue helped. But it sure was a turn-off.