View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Dillonious, I want to offer you my sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Karma. Know that you really did the right thing for her. Granting her a peaceful and gentle passage is the ultimate act of love. But with that decision, we are swallowed with guilt. It is almost like we end their pain, and bring it upon ourselves. We aren't vets and therefore must rely on the expertise of others for medical advice. It involves an element of trust, but we also fear the "what if I could have done more."

We faced the same painful situation a few months ago. We had an ill dog who was being treated for bladder cancer. She also had a compromised liver and her medication went toxic and caused kidney failure. Letting her go was in her best interest, but was the hardest thing I've ever done. She was dying; nothing else could be done. Our decision let her go painfree and in dignity. Even with this, I still had feelings that I killed her, that I was playing God and it wasn't right. It took a few weeks, but I know in my heart that I did the kindest thing I could for her and showed her my love by letting go. Know you did the same thing with Karma. It hurts so much. Try to find some way to memorialize Karma; it really does help. I wrote a letter to Tipper and put some of her special things in a memorial box. I also found comfort in the www.petloss.com site. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell how cherished Karma was. It is OK to mourn.