Thread: hard decision
View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa91 View Post
I was going to try then on a raw or cooked meat diet but i'm a vegan and the thought of handling dead chicken just didn't work for me.
I'm vegan too, so I instead of making my own raw diet (although I wouldn't be so terribly averse to it, but my husband is), I buy frozen commercial raw. Not sure where you're located but here in Canada there are some excellent products available. It's really no more difficult than opening a can (as long as you remember to take it out of the freezer in time to thaw!). Commercial raw suppliers also tend to source their meat from more humanely raised animals (ie not factory farmed) than the big pet food companies do. The only drawback is that it CAN be more expensive than other methods of feeding (although you usually feed less, so in some cases it balances out). You also have to consider the bigger picture, which is that if it helps resolve any health issues than you end up saving money on vet bills.

Oh, and you can get some pretty exotic protein sources with a commercial raw food that you'll rarely see in cans. My cats have tried everything from ostrich to wild boar to kangaroo to llama. This variety can be a lifesaver for cats that have food allergies.

One thing I'd recommend if you haven't already is eliminating ALL dry from her diet, even if it was just for treats. Some better treat options are 100% freeze-dried meat like PureBites or Halo Liv-a-Littles.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler