View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties
The very best thing you can do for your kitten is to get him off the dry food all together and onto a good canned food. Cats need their fluids with their food, not beside their food.
Common sense is great, but I'm afraid it is not common at all. The statement can easily be interpreted as discouraging the presentation of water separate from the food. Regardless of how rarely some cats may use it. You could wet their food to the point of soup, and I would still say, offer the plain fresh water for whenever they want or need it.

Ahh, I see. I suppose that "could" in a stretch be taken that I meant not to leave water out for your cats so - I will apologize. I would hope there are not that many asinine people out there that would be so _______ (fill in the blank) as to think cats do not need water. I will rectify that immediately. Cats, because of their long ago origin as being desert dwellers, if given a "natural" diet of mice, rabbits and other small animals, derive most of their fluid intake from the very animals they eat. If not given that choice then they need a diet, canned or balanced raw, where their water should be included. Yes, they still need a bowl of fresh water when/if they chose to drink water.

I'll go to that website and get back to you on what I read, it's a bit long so not right now.

As for what I was saying about mice and rabbits, I was unclear. I did not mean that an identical diet would be suitable for both cats and dogs. I was just stating that a major natural meat source that would be a suitable ingredient for a raw cat food and for a raw small dog food is largely unavailable.

Mmmmm, there was a member a while back - didn't stick around for long - who stated that he figured that mice could be raised akin to livestock; being left in the garage with "the wife" throwing feed to them. See why he wasn't around long? He was then going to put his dog in an I think "empty or spare" room to "catch" the mouse which I am assuming his poor wife would have had to pick and take to said room. Sorry to be so .
As for a suitable natural meat source - I do not live in a large city but I can go to my Pet Valu and get raw foods for my cats (if they would deign to eat it, spoiled little buggers). Also, Global Pet Foods are now in quite a few smaller cities. They have a wonderful array of foods for cats and dogs. There is the hunter route if you so choose. There is even buying, as aslan stated, the meat source in a grocery store or from a butcher and making raw yourself. All readily available. There's always ways to get that natural meat source if you take the time to look.

Now really, we are going back and forth on the same thing. I think it's time to move on now. The member who started this thread has not been back to reply. If the OP would like to come back and ask questions so she can learn about feeding her kitten I would be more than happy to help her. Other than that I am done "arguing" semantics.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!