View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
i have an 8yo daughter!! and they sure are something at that age huh?? i dont suppose you could interest her in volunteering at the shelter, getting to know one of the dogs there and adopting?? it would be for a good cause!!
this is a GREAT suggestion, especially as a first step towards getting a dog. This would have to be done with an adult though, so if your (or significant other's) schedule allows, this is a great option. it would really teach your daughter in a positive hands-on way, just how much work it is to care for a dog. Walking, playing, training, feeding, cleaning up after, etc...

another possibility would be to contact a reputable registered (and very experienced) husky breeder in your area. My mom did this when my sister was interested in brittany spaniels. They got to tour the breeders estate, meet the dogs, see how they behave, and got to ask the breeder MANY questions. This really helped them decide if this was the breed for them. Most reputable breeders are more than happy to educate others on their breed of choice, especially children who show an interest. They may also be able to recommend a Husky rescue group who you could consider adopting from.

I can't stress enough though how important it is to seek out a reputable breeder to speak to. I'm not saying you should only get a husky from a breeder - not at all - in fact, I favor adoption, ALWAYS. but a reputable breeder would be able to give you straight facts on the breed, their health, and really show you what owning one entails. from my understanding they are VERY high energy, VERY smart, and require some diligent training.

just my 2 cents. you'll get ALOT of useful info here i'm sure!