View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Recommendation for food to replace Hill's j/d

I have a 3 year old Golden that I love and got from a rescue league about a year ago. He was diagnosed with mild joint disease. The Vet I used to go to placed him on Hill's j/d, Synovi63 granules, and Previcox (as needed for periods of inflammation). Through exercise I've gotten 8 lbs off of his weight in the past 3 months.

I did away with everything but the Hill's j/d because I didn't know what else to give him. I now feed him 1 1/2 cups of the j/d twice a day and add a tbsp of Missing Link Plus for the glucosamine/chondroiton, two tablets of Nutri-vet brewer's yeast, and two capsules of 1000mg Fish Oil concentrate.

After reading many of the comments in this forum, I'm realizing that I probably should find a different dry food for my dog that isn't so high in carbs (not to mention price!). I'm a single bachelor but willing to cook if that's what my dog needs.

I just need a simple, good recommendation for a dry food and what other meat/vegetable combination I should add to his feedings. I would greatly appreciate all responses.

Thank you for your replies!

Last edited by RKMaine; January 20th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.