View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Performance Spaniels

1. What is the point of crate training- is it for denning and safe place? is it to keep him in with the door closed? time out area? i found myself unsure

A crate is a den and a safe place. When I am getting cranky or have spent so many housrs with a dog up my bum that I am no longer being happy or helpful I crate my dog and we both get a time out. But it is done in a happy manner, not a 'bad dog get in there' manner. If you can't watch the dog, it is safer in the crate, door closed. SAme principal as 'crating' the dog in a blocked of kitchen.

2. How big should the crate be? this is a cat crate. I could probably fit 3 sleeping Rex's in it but no more- is that too small- or is small good?

Should be able to turn around lie down and stand up in it no more than that. Too big a crate promotes pottying where they are sleeping and breaks their denning instinct over time.

3. should I be closing the door to get him used to that- or will that make it negative?

If the door is never closed on the crate, there isn't much point to having a crate.. (I just reread your post.. It's great he has a place to lie down, but I would be taching to close the door too, even if gated in the kitchen, there may be a time in't inconvinient to have the dog in the kitchen and you'll need the crate instead.)

4. Should he be staying in it all the time at night or when we are out or is being kept in the secure kitchen better

Overnight while trying to potty train I'd crate, and get up to take the dog out for constant bathroom breaks. In a space as large as akitchen the dog may just go wherever without learning to hold it at all.
You may find over time that the kitchen isn't as puppy proof as you thought, or you may end up with an angel. Mine tried to chew the cupboard doors.. so the kitchen was never 'safe enough' in this house with a little devil.