View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM

This morning Roxy had her first meal with no kibble at all. A couple weeks before the change I had started adding cooked green lentils to her kibble since she had loose stools quite frequently in the last month, so I simply replaced the kibble with the Mountain Dog Food ground chicken. I also added 1 tbsp Eagle Pack Holistic Transition probiotic powder to each meal which is a product that I have had great success with many times.

Roxy has made the fairly quick change over quite easily. She has had no diarrhea during the switch over. She's eating about 2/3 ground chicken and 1/3 cooked lentils for a total of about 12 ounces per meal, two meals per day. Today I also added 1/2 a carrot. I plan to alternate vegetables, feeding one per week so I can tell if Roxy has a reaction to one. So this week it is carrots.

I was reading that I should be steaming the veggies for easier digestion in the doggie system, I will look into that a bit more to see if there is truth in it. I also plan to add a small amount of berries occasionally since they are high in antioxidants. I also know that sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants as well, so Roxy will get sweet potatoes instead of lentils sometimes too.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie