View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Getting my kitten to calm down at night?

Hello everybody! I recently adopted a beautiful baby kitten from our local rescue shelter, and she is absolutely perfect!
There is just one small concern I have with her-- Shes CRAZY at night! We have a six year old cat as well, who comes to be with us and sleeps until we wake up and get out of bed, and we are trying to train the new baby to do the same, or atleast quietly wake up in the night. I play with her like mad at night before bed to tire her out, running back and forth down the hallways and jumping on furniture and everything, its sometimes a couple hour ordeal getting her sleepy for bed! They both have a bazillion toys, and we keep some on the floor of the bedroom, for if she wakes up and needs to play she will have toys.. but she doesn't play with the toys at night-- she much prefers to crawl under the blankies and go crazy while we're sleeping, and you all know just how sharp those little kitten claws are! I can mostly sleep through it, but my boyfriend wakes up instantly and after about 15 minutes of grumbling, has to leave to sleep on the couch. I talked to a close friend of mine who is a huge kitty lover and has raised a few kittens herself, who suggested putting up her food before bed so that she's not kept awake by digesting her food.. which has actually deferred the crazy scratch fests, but now she gets up, every morning around 4 am and sucks on my ear lobes and purrs so loudly!! I can sleep through it for the most part, but its so loud it wakes him up, and since he has to work in the mornings, hes once again stuck sleeping on the couch. Any pointers on how to get her to calm down, or do you think this is something she will grow out of as she matures?