View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
This trilogy is on my list of books to read someday...but I keep forgetting all about them. Never had any luck finding them in a used book store.

Foundations is a definite must-read set-or re-read, since I think it's been about 15 years. Just curious-did you bother with I, Robot the movie? COuldn't bring myself to. And I have to say, I prefer Asimov's Black Widows Club (that doesn't sound quite right-is it Black Widower's Club?) mystery short stories, and the Azazel ones. Just a personal quirk.
"I Robot" the movie very loosely brings together some of the lines of thought in a couple of the short stories in "I Robot," Asimov's classic compendium of stories that he wrote over several decades which famously includes the three laws of robotics.

If you accept that "fatal flaw" premise and aren't looking for much of the book in this movie, you'll probably have fun with it as a pure murder mystery, albeit a futuristic one. I've watched it a few times on the movie channel.

But . . . . I'm a fan of the older style pulp science fiction and I do like pulling out books like that and savouring them . . . . . a simpler time when rocket ships were just that and stocking a spaceship with cans of pork n' beans was still a good idea.

Alan Steele's recent "Coyote" trilogy is interesting as well. Currently wading through Gregory Benford's Galactic Center series . . . . if you want a pretty wild "pulp" read then pick up "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlen or "Saturn" by Ben Bova. Any Chapters store will have a bunch of "Best of . . . ." sci fi short stories that you can get lost in . . . . I like the old Jules Verne stuff from the 1800's as well. I have about 10 books replicating the Star Trek cartoon series from the 1970's, bought at the time.

Don't get me going . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca