Thread: Giant Lipoma
View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM

She's HOME!! She has a towel wrapped around her and covered with vet wrap to put some pressure on the incision and prevent any further bleeding. She has a drain in place so she will be draining over the next few days. The T-shirt I bought her didn't fit over her dressing and vet wrap, so it wasn't put on her. She is exhausted after climbing into the car (with help)and climbing the 4 steps into our house (with help). She wouldn't eat at all for them so we are giving her hi-cal if she won't eat at home. All she wanted to do when she arrived was drink water and lie down. She is now sleeping in her favorite place in front of the TV LOL She greeted two of the cats with a kiss each and the other two are still sleeping.
She was sent home on Hi-Cal..a high calorie vitamin preparation, pain pills and antibiotics and Geri-tabs to help with the anemia. She has to go back tomorrow for another injection and dressing change and we will see how she is then. Her blood work done before the surgery shows anemia and her kidney failure is worse than it was in July:
hemoglobin of 120 g/l normal is 135 to 205 g/l
hematocrit of 0.34 L/L normal 0.39 to 0.60 L/L
Red blood cell count 4.9 normal 5.5 to 8.5 x10E12
urea 33.5 mmol/L normal 3.0 to 10.0 mmol/L
creatinine 518 umol/L normal 30 to 140 umol/L
calcium 3.04 mmol/L normal 2.20 to 3.00 mmol/L

My vet thinks that the Lipoma may have caused a lot of the problems and hopes that at least some of her blood work will improve as she heals.

I plan to keep everyone in the loop as she heals because others may be able to use the information for their beloved dogs or cats. Afert her drain is removed on Friday I will be changing her dressing and hope to take some pictures of the incision but all that will depend on Pepper's co-operation.

I want to say thanks to everyone for their prayers and suggestions through this long drawm out process with special thanks to Dr. Lee for his initial response to my first posts about her Lipoma. I send hugs to all.