View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Is t possible to place an alert at the top of rabbit posts like this for those of us who have had or have bunnies as pets. I was doing fine (and have been under great stress lately) until I read this. I still mourn the loss of my beloved pet bunny and the thought of rabbits as food makes me violently ill. I wish that was not so but it is. I am aware people op eat rabbit but to be honest and with all due respect, find it difficult to understand how anyone would feel rabbit to anyone- whether it is themselves or their pets. I have mentioned this before and I do not want to start a controversy - just that I think people would know that there are those of us for whom these kind of poss are most upsetting.

It is the exactly same thing as if I was to discuss feeding raw dog or cat? It is why we call for boycotts of China and other countries and condemn them for their cultural values yet we here seem to see noting wrong with posting on an animal pet web site where people have very much loved rabbits as family members (My bunny was litter trained, had a lazy boy chair, his own personality - as do most bunnies) . This post has ruined my day and certainly my dinner - I wouls not have open it had there been an alert that it might be upsetting.

So we really have to discuss the eating of animals some of us have pets? Is this not somewhat incongruent with what the mission of the site?

Thanks for listening. I know whoever started it was not thinking about it- may not even realize people do have bunnies as close family members. But the fact is we do and it is most hurtful and to me personally anyway, extremely nauseating. I am not attempting to be melodramatic- you know my profession so you know I have looked at this scientifically and have concluded that because I was so close to my bunny and the fact I still mourn his loss means anytime I see anything about the eating of bunnies, I become violently ill- like an extreme migraine kind of ill. Thankfully I am not on call because I would have to call in sick myself. (sigh!!).

The only solution I can come up with is to have a caution sign or something like that indicating this may be upsetting. For the other readers, substitute cat or dog for rabbit and understand what I mean, I hope!! I do know not everyone becomes ill but I spoken to others and they too are upset by this but do not like to say anything, I am just politely expressing my views without making any judgments about the person. I know ppl in this region used to hunt rabbits when they could not afford chicken but it is now no longer permitted in most areas. And I now many in Europe feed rabbit even to kittens which I do not claim to understand. I just hope we can change our ways and remember the bunnies of the world.
(amnd yes, I know the bunnies hunted are not the warm fuzzy Dwarf Netherland and other species favoured as pats) but I have also had as a pet when I was a child a bunny from my family's property and he was a wonderful companion,.