View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM

1 dog, 2 cats, 17 tropical fish, 4 pond koi

Hello,

My name is Ann and I'm from Toronto. Maggie, who has been part of our family since December 05, is a 4 year old red rough, 9 pound brussels griffon (rescue) who is slowly adapting to her new life as a dog instead of a tattooed and numbered puppy producer.

Mulligan, an adoption, joined our family in 1998 and is a 11 year old 14 pound DSH male cat who totally lives up to his name. He is a polydactyl, pure white with one blue and one green eye. He is one of the most loving cats I've ever met. All who meet him want to take him home. He never tires of getting loving and really isn't that particular about who gives it to him. His nickname is "me too" because if another gets affection, he bulldozes his way in for his share (having forgotten that he just got some of his own)

Prada, another adoption, joined our family in 2006 and is a 2 year old 7 pound DSH female, Russian Blue in colour. Given her size, we started to call her "little kitty" and she responds to that far better than to her given name. Although she was afraid of Mulligan in the early days, he is after all twice her size, she now rules the roost. I had concerns about her getting enough to eat as I have an automatic feeding system and Mulligans head fils the bowl entirely. Shortly after her arrival, once she ventured out from under the spare room bed, she discovered that a quick nip on his ear would get his head out of the bowl long enough to get her share. She and Maggie are fast friends and we'll often find them curled up together. She has helped Mulligan lose weight as she loves to play, and apparently he does also.

The only oddity about our little family is that the cats come when called consistently, the dog, has to think about it, but is improving. They are all unique characters, and we love them dearly.

The tropicals are mainly swordtails who breed quite regularly and have kept the population in the tank going for 6 years now.

The koi have survived one winter. ($10 fish - $80 pond heater)...people think I'm nuts, but they're my babies too. We struggle with the racoons in the area, but have built hiding places in the pond, sofar, so good. Let's see next spring.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big believer in adoptions/rescues. Although a kitten or puppy is cute and you can watch them develop their personalities and mould them into your household, there are so many unwanted animals out there that deserve a forever family. The process of seeing them gain confidence and become loving / trusting members of the family is so very rewarding in and of itself.