View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:47 PM

about the worms

The most common worm that you would see in a dogs stool would be roundworms - all right, I know using food comparisons stink for people with delicate stomachs - but they really do look like spagetti (and yes tapeworms look like rice). Now that is easy as pie to treat but I wanted to point out a little fact - you can catch them too. You have to be pretty unsanitary like not washing your hands before you eat or smoke ect - but you should be extra careful to do thorough hand washing till they are worm free. The thing about roundworms is that the egg(s) get ingested by the host, they hatch in the gut and then go into the body for a little excursion till they mature, return to the gut to happily lay more eggs. This is a bit of a problem for the animal if heavily infested as they are punching tunnels through the dogs innards on these journeys. The problem is if you get dog roundworms the worms get a bit confused as you are not thier proper host and can get lost - making cycts ect (some people even get one floating in thier eyeball).
OK now that I have completely grossed you all out - don't panic! You can only get this if you consume the eggs (therefore have to eat some concentration of dog poop). Just wash wash wash and you will be ducky We really do need a barf icon
Michelle