View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM

I am really working hard because when I was a kid we had a black lab that was completely untrained. My parents ended up putting him to sleep when he was only a few years old. The only training he got was what I as a 10 year old gave him. I taught him to sit, to stay and i could put a cookie on his paw, walk all the way around the house and he would still be sitting there with it. I dont' know how i convinced him to do that haha. But that was about it. He had some issues as an outside dog but nothing that a bit of training wouldn't have helped. I guess my parents were pretty old school about dogs - my mom didn't want one and dad worked away so poor Shadow sat outside and barked. I feel really bad now that we didn't do anything with him but what did I know? I was a kid!

I do not want to have another untrained dog, thus the herculean effort. I do not believe in giving way family members or having them PTS because of something I failed to do so the logical decision is to train them so they are manageble.

It would have been easier to have one and get a biddable breed ( i actually wanted a black lab), but kind of too late for that isnt' it?

OTOH, my trainer said that if i ever want to become a dog trainer i could definitely assist her. So hey, if accounting doesn't work out, I could have a fall back career.