View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

We got Daisy from the humane society because we felt sorry for her. We were the second people to take her home. The first girl who took her brought her back in tears because her family said Daisy would grow up to be a "baby killer". It's true. She almost drowned my niece with slobber once.

We didn't do any special training with Daisy. It seems to be almost an instinct with her. With me, I actually was out of the gym for a while because my shoulder was messed up from her pulling so hard on her rope when I play with her (pre-existing condition, but still...I'm over 200 lbs, and she's pulled me AND the easy chair that seats two before!). Yet when the little kids are around her, she's usually very careful of them, and if they smack her with the rope, she'll grab it, but won't pull. Except the youngest one, who we think hurt her once. Now, when the youngest starts touching her, she'll sometimes let a little growl, or show her teeth. (We watch her very closely, and Cheryl and I don't let her near Daisy without us right there. We also make sure Daisy knows this is unacceptable). But usually Daisy will walk away, other than get territorial.

We have to remember that people who don't have these dogs only know what they hear in the papers. I'm embarassed to admit that when we had apprehensions about getting a pit-bull. Best dog I've had. Try not to be to upset with people (unless they act like idiots). I now try to use every opportunity to educate people (I had one couple tell me what a great looking dog Daisy is. When they asked what kind, I told them, then told them she was the most gentle dog I've ever had!)

Oh, and congratulations on becoming a parent!