View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garey View Post
...my kitten has been going in to heat every few weeks for a couple of months now and I don't want to get her spayed, but I wanted to make sure it's not harmful to her....

Is there any reason to get her fixed, other than she might get impregnated?
Welcome to the forum, Garey !

Perhaps a read of the following will help you understand what will invariably occur.......should you NOT have your kitten spayed:
Quote:
Pyometra

Pyometra is a disease which occurs in intact (un-spayed) female dogs and cats. Pyometra means that the canine or feline reproductive tract, primarily the uterus, fills and distends with infection and pus. The presence of this infectious material makes the pateint very sick, and left untreated is imminently fatal.

Treatment for pyometra is surgical, as the disease does not repond to antibiotics. Essentially, a spay has to be performed. However, a pyometra spay is considerably more challenging than a routine spay.

The best way to deal with pyometra is prevention. Spaying your dog or cat effectively eliminates the possibility of pyometra, while effectively preventing mammary cancer, difficult pregnancy, and heat based aggression.

http://web-dvm.net/pyometra.html
And, while you find her behaviour adorable as a kitten, I can assure you that this will be short-lived.

A couple of important add-ons for you.......
  • ensure that she receives pain medication for several days after surgery, and do NOT accept any form of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - a "pain patch" is perfect
  • A Feline Nutrition 101 for you (+ additional "must-knows"): Feeding Your Cat - Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

Hope that helps !