View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
When you are sitting on the couch or floor, help her relax and lie down and gently roll her onto her back. Repostion her legs and head all different ways until she becomes completely comfortable with you doing whatever it is you want. Once you've had success with it, teach your husband and then your children. Help your dog to learn complete trust in her family and to lose any inhibitions to touch.
I'm afraid I disagree with this advice and especially if done by your children etc. The "alpha roll" can have very negative effects on the dog's confidence and trust with its owner. It can also cause the dog to become very defensive. In fact the original recommend was from the Monks of New Skete who have now apologized and no longer recommend this procedure. The top behaviourists in the field of dog training/agression such as Patricia McConnell, Ian Dunbar etc all agree that the alpha roll is a poor training option.

I have no problem with your dog needing to allow you to handle it but I would hope the only time she is on her back is when she is offering her belly for a nice tummy rub.

A good alternative is to work on teaching your dog commands like a sit stay/down stay and a "go to mat/bed" command. Gradually work up from very short sessions until your dog can hold the position for long periods of time.