View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM

It is definetly not Vestibular Sydrome like Sheba has. The fact that her C7 cranio-facial nerve is compromised indicates brain damage as this nerve originates in the brain stem and her symptoms (inability to blink, etc.) point to the fact that the nerve was damaged at the source. Also, one pupil is larger than the other (anisocoria). She does not have nystagmus. She does not vomit, but rather regurgitates when excited. Again, this has to do with the nerves to her esophagus. Regurgitation is what people what acid reflux have whereby the valve to the stomach doesn't work properly and lets the food/bile back up.

I will try to have an MRI done but right now, there are no real treatment options as she has been stable for three months. In other words, she does not appear to be deteriorating. There is nothing that any vet can give me that will improve her brain function where it has been damaged. So little is actually known about the brain. What the scan will give me is knowledge.

More pressing is her trachea and her jaw. Since all of these tests will be very expensive, I have to prioritize. She will have her trachea fixed, if possible, to allow more air intake and less pressure on her throat. She will also have her jaw realigned, if possible, to allow her tongue to fit into her mouth properly and not to block the back of her throat so that she gasps when she gets excited because of the limited mobility of her jaw to open enough so that she can pant properly.

Lisa and Grace.

Last edited by canine14; June 24th, 2005 at 05:15 PM.