View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I've not had experience with nosebleeds from tick-borne diseases, but I do know that they can cause platelet counts to plummet and result in nosebleeds. Is her nose bleeding from both nostrils?

Our dogs respond quite quickly to doxy when they have tick-borne diseases and I would expect that her nosebleeds would be better quite soon. Cool compresses laid across her snout may help to stop the bleeding. If she's itchy, she might also have some seasonal allergies (our dogs are all itchy this week from the pollens and the mosquitoes). See if your vet thinks it's okay to give her some Benadryl while she's on the doxy.

Normal appetite and play is always a good sign! I hope she's better quickly, fluffernutter!

Her bleeds are from the right nostril, and I know single-nostril is more worrisome than if it were both. Any advice on how to approach the cold compress? So far I haven't been able to get her to let me keep it on for more than 30 seconds or so. Overnight was challenging as she slept on her side and a few times woke up choking and then would sneeze and we'd start all over again with a bleed. I finally got her into her favorite chair and that gave us 2 hours of quiet sleep with only a little bleeding.