View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Posted by Marko for nancy and Lucy

Hi. Lucy, is a sheepdog/terrier mix, age 5 has a dx of torn ACL. Vet reccommends xrays to confirm the tear then consult with a surgeon for repair – costing upwards of $2,000.00 – other pet owners with the same problem has suggested I limit Lucy’s activity for 6 weeks and start her a Naturalpath Remedy of: Yucco (for pain), WellyTails (hip & joints cartilage treatment) and Glucosapet. Hopefully this Remedy will help her to heal on her own & that I introduce acivity slowly after 6 weeks. I was also advised by Global pet store owner to keep her on these supplements (minus pain med if not needed) routinley and put my other dog on the same supplements routinley for good health.

My concern at this time is Lucy has lost a noticable amount of muscle on the injured leg and the vet advises – the longer I wait the less likely the surgery will be successful.

Any feedback from other pet owners who have opted out of the surgerical intervention for Naturalpath Remedy – and the success rate would be helpful in my decision. My biggest concern is if I go the 6+ week option with Naturalpath meds and Lucy looses too much muscle for surgerical intervention – then what??
What is the success rate if I go the surgical route?
Thanking you in advance for any advice given……
Nancy & Lucy
acl surgery is most successful within a short time frame. The muscle is needed as it is crossed over to support the acruciate ligament. Without the surgery, the acl will repair but it can repair in a fused fashion or can shorten the leg on repair. This is a very painful tear for a dog and a very long recovery. Solid cage rest is required, total immobility for a minimum of 6 weeks then you start with 5 minutes of leash walking for a week, then 10 min and so on. we rigged up a harness for a dog we had so that I could take him out for his business allowing him to bear weight on all his other 3 legs but keeping him off his injured hind leg. he weighed over 130lbs so carrying was out of the question.