View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Update on "Seizure 5 days ago" possible Neospora?

We went to a new vet, one that did not recommend putting our lil monster, Nanook, down. She was so nice and seemed to be just as concerned as my husband and I. She said she thought maybe the first vet suggested putting him down as it would be costly to find out what is wrong and assumed we could not, or would not be willing to pay, but who knows!

The new vet kept him for the day and did a full blood panel, acid bile test to rule out liver shunt, neck x-rays and spinal tap. She said it was rare they ever find anything, but it would at least rule some things out and she could start him on anti-seizure meds. She got all the results back the next day and said we got lucky with the spinal tap. She said they did not find an actual parasite, but more some kind of crystals (forgot the name) that is commonly linked to Neospora. He also has meningoencephalitis, round worms and giardia. He is now being treated for all of the above. She is hopeful the treatment will stop the seizures, but if not, she will start him on phenobarbitol. A caring vet and $3000 later we have a little hope! She did prepare us for the fact that we may still lose him, but I believe she is doing her best and he seems to be improving up to this point