View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2016, 03:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Red face Crazy dog lady needs help with kitten...yep, go figure....

I heard an odd noise last night and thought it was baby birds, but lo and behold, a kitten (maybe 5 to 6 mos old) squeezed under both gates, crying the whole time, and ran up to me, begging to be picked up. Sweet little thing--one blue eye, one gold; white with a few orange spots; very social--loves people and doesn't even mind the dogs (who, in fact, are a little taken aback by kitty's presence).

I called the local no-kill shelter, but they don't have an open spot and we might have to keep kitty for a couple of weeks. We're doomed--by then we'll be way too attached to give him up.

To make matters worse, we've already named him J.D.--he's such a singer that we named him after John Denver.

At any rate, we've never had a cat before, and we do have 5 English setters, so this is going to be a complicated introduction period. He's going to the vet today for his initial checkup and needles (if they can do them--he has a bit of a URI), and on the way, hubby will pick up cat food (dry and wet, since he seems to have been raised on kibble), litter, litter scoop and a scratching post.

Any suggestions as to brand names for food, types of litter, toys, etc?

Anything else we might need? Any tips on raising/feeding a kitten? Especially--any tips on introducing a cat into a 5-dog household?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."