View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoly78 View Post
I don't think that an attack-to-kill response is fair on the part of the other dog. A dog should not be given the right to kill just anything that enters it's perceived territory. If the other dog had even gone as far as pinning mine to the ground until it was commanded to release it, I wouldn't have an issue and would have felt that it was an appropriate response. Immediately going for the kill by biting and shaking is not an appropriate first response for a dog to be allowed to have. It doesn't have as much to do with the size of the dog as it does with how aggressive it is.
It's a dog!!! What did you want it to do? Sit down and write a letter to your dog asking him to leave???? Aggression is how dogs communicate.

Pinning him to the ground until he was ordered to release??? Do you think you're dealing with a trained judo fighter?

I think you need a reality check. That dog acted absolutely appropriately for the situation for who he is. That dog and his reaction is not the problem. The problem is you allowing your dog to instigate this situation. For all you know that dog was attacked by another dog when he was a puppy and has a very heightened defence response to seeing any dog especially one rushing towards his family on his territory. Responding to a perceived fear has nothing to do with rational thoughts, not to mention human principals and morality do not even remotely apply to the behavioural laws that govern dog behaviour. Dogs like him can be in behavioural modification training for months and years and it only takes one stupid incident like what you did by an irresponsible little dog owner yahoo to set such a dog back in his progress years!! You don't have the slightest clue about how irresponsible what you have allowed to happen is and just how ignorant you sound by trying to complain about the other dog's response. You don't think they're concerned enough about your dog? You're obviously not concerned at all about theirs! If I was in that dog owner's shoes I would be considering sending you the bill for my dog's behavioural sessions which I assure you can easily amount to more then your vet bill when working on long term cases.