View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:41 AM

Smile Re: Cats Are Fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If your main objective is to keep baby safe then how about you try a large dog crate? It doesn't sound like you want them separated during the day, which is what my original suggestion was, but just at night so....... if you can find a large size dog crate then you can set it up for Baby with a litter box, toys, etc at night. Put a comfy blanket in for him and he will be comfy. I always have my crate set up in my kitchen for kitties to spend the night. It causes a lot less heartache for newer cats who have to defend themselves against the bigger, bully cats. And at 25 - 30 lbs when they are attacking this poor guy in the litter box they are bully cats.
If Baby won't use the litter box you have for him then put the other one in the crate with him and let the other ones use the new one.
I have not heard of a vet charging more for a neuter because a cat is older and bigger. It just does not work that way.
I see you are in Southwestern Ont. If you let us know what city maybe someone can give you a number for a low cost s/n program. A lot of cities have them.
I am going to get a crate larger than a cat carrier & yes being able to watch them during the day has seemed to help. We only had 2 spats today and Baby went to bed happy, with no problems. I knew I was right about baby being in submissive mode, but it made sense the way my husband seen it. He thought laying on his back with all fours, sharp claws exposed, he was challenging & ready to fight.

I have been told by vet technicians that the bigger the cat, the more anesthetic they have to give for a longer time because of weight & age. When the boys were done at 2 months, it only took about 45 minutes to an hour & they were done. I live in the country rural route & the surrounding cities are Brantford, Paris, Burford, & Woodstock. Thanks for everyone's advice; it really has helped.
LW