View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM

Red face Last resort - getting allergy test done :(

As some of you may know, my little fella has serious allergies (to what... I don't know).

He has had them for approx. 3-4 years and they have become progressively worse as he ages.

I have tried and exhausated everything... I have tried every type of food out there (incl. Acana, Orijen, Vet Food, now RAW), special shampoos and conditioners, medications (he has been on Vanectyl - P [steroids for dogs - ick! ]), sprays, etc. to no relief.

I recently made the switch to RAW, almost entirely for my little fella. It has helped ALOT , but he still is licking, itching, and scratching. His paws and genital area are very, very red. However the RAW has helped alot... his chronic ear infections are almost non-existant anymore, I have been able to wean him from a Vanectyl - P pill every 2nd day to one a WEEK, and his energy and skin are much better, so this by far is the best food for him.

However, while I have seen about a 50% improvement with RAW, he still is not doing great. Food is the easiest allergy to control, so I have been sticking to novel proteins like elk, rabbit, bison etc. and avoiding chicken and beef. I have been giving him meat and nothing else - no treats or anything else that might trigger it. I have tried introducing a meat one at a time to see what works best with him, trying it for a few months, and none of them have seen an improvement. But as I understand only 20% of allergies are food - related.

So I am biting the bullet & having allergy testing done once and for all. I have put it off for the obvious cost, but I feel so bad for the little guy. Has anyone else had their dog allergy tested, and if so were the results accurate and helpful? In about a week's time both the little's are going in to have their teeth cleaned and he is getting the allergy test done. (Yay for tax refunds, LOL. This is going to be a HUGE bill, eep!)

The vet withdraws 2-3 mL of serum and ships it to Calgary. They test for 20+ food allergens, and 50+ environmental allergens. I think he may have a combo of both? He defaintly does terrible on grains, so we will stick with the raw.

It's expensive... $200 for the test (plus what my vet charges me to take the sample), $200 for the initial treatment, and then its about $20 a month for the maintenance. It's expensive, but I figure I easily spend $20 a month on special food and his meds, so if its not a food allergy to chicken or beef, that will bring my costs down.

I just want the little guy to be happy. Is there any other alternatives I should try 1st? I feel as if I have used every option...

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama