View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't worry, I enjoy our banter BM.

Understandably, I don't want to take this thread off topic at all, but you know me - I have to reply.

To quickly respond,
Quote:
It's not the OP's problem at all whether she interprets this as aggression or whatever else. Her focus is her own dog.
- this is my point. Her focus IS on her own dog, however if she wrongly innterupts the Yorkies behavior, she will essentially hold her own dog back from a natural learning process that only dogs can teach one another.

Quote:
The term aggression applies to so many different things: Possession aggression, fear aggression, food possession (which is aggression) to name a few. I just don't know why the emphasis on this word.
A poster in this thread had commented that the Yorkie was being aggressive towards the DDB and should've been removed from the park. I was simply emphasizing that we can't judge a dog based on barking. There are so many types of behaviors (and aggressions) - to start loosely throwing the word 'aggression' around is just incorrect, but so many owners don't understand this.

The reason I do feel that this applied to the OP is because of their comment
Quote:
It was kind of unfortunate because I spent a lot of time telling my dog what to do and what not to do, while the Yorkie had free rein.
It IS unfortunate that she felt she needed to constantly call her dog back. As I've already stated, it did not seem like she needed too - but how would the OP know this unless she could properly read the Yorkies behavior?

Regardless of whether or not our dog is the one with the curious behavior, if we understand what dogs are saying, we won't need to worry about OUR dog either. On the flip side, we'll know when we DO need to remove them from a bad situation.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)