View Single Post
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my... just a little uhm.... shocked and hurt by that comment. I won't belabour the life of my beloved rabbit who I invested (in more ways than one) as much time as you are in trying to help your dog so I would think you could undersatand that at least - that I would suggest we have in common. And sorry to digress- it is just that you mentioned him again and that always still makes me sad but this is a bad time in my life- tho I see yours is no picnic.

That said, I see no point in judging others even if they judge me or others before they even know me (I have never understood that nor will I ever and if I ever do it, someone pls remind me, lol)

So, Apology accepted.And yes, I am sensitive (and oh dear, worried if I am self absorbed since it is not my fav characteristic in ppl so I'll try not to talk about my work or myself but I did not think I talked more about myself than others did want to know, none of us is perfect and I know for sire I am not! I try but I know it's just not possible. Just ask my mother - she who had to have the perfect everything, lol 9I am not it acc to her, heheh)

I belong to this forum to try to help people in areas I can and learn what I can with others who possess info and knowledge I may not have and not to argue about superfluous issues that are useless and of no relevance to our helping each other care for our pets, all of whom we love or we would not be here seeking solutions!

Thanks to all of you who supported me- I appreciated it. I am the first to admit when I am wrong and always try to be scrupulously fair but again, I am not perfect and sometimes say things without thinking first. Mostly because I am in a perpetual hurry which is not a good thing but it's my life. I also thank you for the apology. I guess I was not certain what your dog having cancer had to do with my bunny and his illness but again, I think we share more than we differ because we both love our pets since I can tell you obviously care deeply for your dog and I am so sorry to hear of his cancer!! (I read the other post just now, just realizing it was the same person and pooch.)

Re the question about dogs and cats again the only answer I can give to you re that - and pls remember I am not a vet not am I an expert in this area tho will admit to expertise in oncology - is that it very much depends on the type of cancers. And just like the factors we live by that help us in preventing cancer (eating veggies, staying away from known carcinogens, out of the sun (I wish someone had told me that as a child so I cold have avoided melanoma but it was not well understood when I was a child so like zillions everywhere, with my Irish white skin (even tho I am also part Jewish, I ended up with the Irish skin genes - Gawd, I hope that isn't what she means by being self absorbed, if it is, I am sorry!!!), etc, there are actions we can do help our furry friends. Cats are very susceptible to melanoma and white cats and meezers especially (well they have so much white fur) and white kitties should never stay in the sun (I envision my YY in a sun hat, lol) - not a bad idea for a poster for feline cancer come to think of it.

Dogs too can be susceptible to skin cancer Fair coloured pooches with special attention being paid to exposure to the underbelly or inside of the back legs.
In hilly regions where ultraviolet light is particularly strong, skin cancer often affects pointers, bull terriers, pit bulls, and Dalmatians. "In Dalmatians," I just actually read curiously. "the cancer will circle around a black spot and won't enter the black skin." It will of course affect the white fur!

Dogs have a much higher incidence of nasal sinus cancer than do people. This is thought to be because they are always sniffing ans using their noses more. The 4th most common kind of cancer in bot cats and dogs is mouth cancer - probably because they use their mouths more than we do to do things besides eating and talking. Like they groom themselves with their tongues for example.

You will not be surprised that I have read practically every research paper available on cancer in Siamese and Siamese kitties, who alas can be prone to a variety of cancers (some 40 plus types) - like salivary carcinomas and intestinal carcinomas\ also tend to get them at a younger age, sighhhhhhh!!! So if anyone comes up with a surefire diet for cancer, I want it, lol

Older dogs for some reason often get bone cancer more often than younger dogs. This makes me worry for my beloved chocolate lab - my brother's dog that I love so deeply - and he has already had hip dysplasia, sigh!

One bright spot is that our furbabies very seldom develop gastrointestinal tract and lungs because their diets are often better than ours and they do not smoke- unless they live with too much 2nd hand smoke.

Cats and dogs who are spayed and neutered early have less chance of developing certain cancers.

I do have some stats from an epidemiology conference I attended not too long ago at a famous univ. I am almost scared to mention which one, lol

There, I learned that dogs have 35 times as much skin cancer as do humans, 4 times as many breast tumors, 8 times as much bone cancer, and twice as high an incidence of leukemia. Again, as prev stated, the only types more frequent in humans are lung cancer is 7 times higher in humans, and stomach/intestinal malignancies are 13 times more frequent in humans than in dogs and cats. It is clear that the higher incidence of lung cancer in people is due to the human habit of smoking---but the cause of the higher incidence of gastrointestinal malignancies in humans is not less misunderstood, acc to this researcher. It could be diet, but he also said "it may also be a species idiosyncrasy; humans as a species may be exceptionally susceptible to tumors of the stomach and bowel."

I know this is not a simple answer and it has helped retain my bad rap as long winded (sorry but it was a question that needed to be answered, ) but I hope it helps!!

And, tiOurs, I only hope the best for your dog and you!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you both!!!