View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw1970 View Post
If it turns out that Nick will suffer and not get much more quality time from radiation, we're apt to just make him as comfortable as possible and spoil him rotten with the time he has left. I changed his diet last week to Wellness brand to get him off grains, and have added raw eggs and some raw meat to his diet for extra protein. I've also ordered some Essiac Tea.
Aw!!! Not what I was expecting to hear either! :sad:

I'm glad to see you put Nickleby on the Wellness...Wellness Core? Be sure to feed the raw foods in a meal separate from the kibble. I think the numbers are: Raw should be fed no less than 6 hours after kibble or no less than 4 hours before kibble. Someone correct me if those aren't the right numbers.

Personally, my dog couldn't handle the high protein of the Wellness Core (or Evo) on it's own. She would get stinky farts, and couldn't keep the weight on without the carbs of grains. I had to supplement her diet with California Naturals Lamb and Rice. My dog does much better with a small amount of grains. The CN on it's own has too much grains imo, so half and half with the Wellness I think my dog gets the best of both worlds, and boy does she look great! Oh, and no farts!

If I were you I would look into supplementing your dog with some digestive enzymes AND probiotics to help keep his gut flora in decent shape through all the medications, stress, and diet change.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie