View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Dog Parks

I have been in the dog parks many time with my 2 dogs (shepherds) and have kept my older guy (9 yrs) on his leash because of the little dogs.
The Pomeranian that was killed at the dog park, I am so sorry to hear that the owner had to put the dog down.
I'm also sorry to say that the OWNER'S take NO responsibility for their pets at the dog parks. It is not a place to take your dogs so you don't have to walk them, it's NOT a place so you, the owner can socialize with other people and IGNORE what your pet is doing.
It's the same as parents taking their kids to the park to play. You don't take your eyes off your child.....same rule applies at the dog park.
Twice now we have had a horrible time at the dog park with OWNERS not understanding that THEIR dog's behavior is the problem NOT the pits or the shepherds or the rotti's.
Pomeranian owner that thought it was funny that your little 20 lb dog kept attacking my 110 lb shepherd and REPEATEDLY allowed your dog to return and attack my dog (who by the way I had on a leash). I had to kick the Pom at one point to get it to let go of my dogs private region. It wasn't funny in the least !!
Especially when everyone else in the dog park ONLY heard my guy finally growl, grab and release the Pom but didn't see the previous incidents.
People were yelling at me to muzzle my dog.
Sorry, but even a DOG can only take so much abuse and I could only protect him/try to stop the Pom which didn't work !!!!
So please, I know this person lost their pet but no one knows what was going on PRIOR to the attack because NO ONE WAS PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR DOGS.
The dog park gate closing behind you and your pet, does not mean you have a free babysitter !
**PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR DOG IS UNSTABLE OR IN AN EXCESSIVELY EXCITABLE STATE ....A DOG PARK IS THE LAST PLACE THEY SHOULD BE UNTIL SOME ENERGY IS RELEASED. OTHER DOGS WILL INSTINCTIVELY CORRECT THIS BEHAVIOR SO IF A DOG SNAPS BARKS OR GROWLS AT YOUR DOG WHEN IT'S IN THIS STATE.....RECOGNIZE IT'S YOUR DOGS UNSTABLE BEHAVIOR CREATING THE PROBLEM !!