View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM
-

My Herbie has megacolon, his last bout with the Vet visits finished 3 weeks ago...listening to him this morning another visit might be in order ....We have been managing it the same way as QMC mentioned that she does with Quincy, minus the metamucil (apparently if the stool is compacted then added fibre can worsen the situation).

If you are feeding kibble, I would advise you to cut it out entirely. Adding water to Panda's canned food is important, I mix Herbie's to a soup like consistancy, I know some cats don't like it so soupy, in which case I would administer water with a syringe.

At his last visit with the Vet, he suggested surgery, it isn't 100% successful but apparently has a high success rate. I'm not sure if I would go that route though.

Personally I would try to manage it with medication and diet, excercise is important too. Herbie's problem roars it's ugly head in winter only, he doesn't like to go outside in winter and doesn't like to use the litter box to defecate....sigh. If the snow is not too deep, I carry him to the back of the yard so he has no choice......We have been dealing with this for 5 years now