View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

could your dogs go with you?????

if not....
test your friend on her own with the dogs a couple of times is a great idea. also have her over a few times when you are home and have her feed and walk them so this doesnt seem unnatural to them.

also have her come over and just walk in no knocking or door bells etc and greet her very warmly, so your dogs get the idea she is a welcomed member.

would it be possible to have your friend stay there while you are gone instread of just stopping by.?
if your dogs have had some issues in the past with previous owner being left alone for so long may cause them increased anxiety and to do things they normally wouldnt.
i would be afraid of them getting in to something potentially dangerous... like destructive behaviour, or worse chewing and choking on something or eating something posionous.

I have a dog that i too wouldnt dream of kenneling because of his past and sensitive emotional and phychological state, he stays with my parents when i am gone if i cannot take him with me.

keep many treats and comfort objects available to them while you are gone

when spending time with your friend make all their associations with your friend that is watching them as positive and happy as possible.

also let her know how you deal with the dogs, be very clear of your means of training, disicpline and praise, as well as routines so the dogs have consistancy it will amke it easier for you and them as well as your friend. also any common behaviours your dog may exhibit and how you would like those to be dealt with

also be sure to leave emergency numbers, the vets and how to get a hold of you, the hotel you will be staying at as well as cell phone numbers
leave a credit card number with her or a close family member incase something happens and emergency care is required.
also leave precise details, and license numbers as well as a good photo in case they get loose.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross