View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I would never criticize you for rehoming a puppy that is in danger from your other dog. Sometimes dogs just don't get along. Sometimes you could work through it if only you had the knowledge, time, money or maybe all three at once.

I have a wild thought. Are you sure both dogs are healthy? Your older dog might have any number of ill health problems that make him less tolerant of a youngster.

The puppy might have health problems and the older dog senses them. I have known a perfectly nice dog to attack a newly met one-eyed dog for instance. Now that's an obvious ailment with the one dog but the same thing is known to happen with other health problems we can't see. Sometimes dogs get rid of less fit members due to some age old instinct kicking in to seize an opportunity to get rid of a competitor. In wild animals it would be to remove a competitor from breeding or eating rights but in our mix of human/dog society it could be guarding the resource that dispenses food and attention, you in other words. Just kinda pondering out loud here.